Re: Plastic toxin in tank

In a message dated 97-11-26 08:08:50 EST, Kaycy wrote:

<< Rubbermaid blanket storage containers, clear ones, were also useful in
> rearing corys. These were not toxic.
>
> One has to be very careful when purchasing something made of plastic or
> other heavy plastic material to use with fish. Fish are more susceptible to
> toxins in these containers than humans.

If you are looking for a large, barrel-shaped container at a budget price,
here's a suggestion-
Most larger cities have a local brand of meat packer that makes sausage,
bologna, etc.  If they make pickle loaf, they are probably buying the relish
for the pickles in 55 gallon, plastic barrels.  These barrels are non-toxic by
FDA regulation.  When I got a couple from Russer Foods in Buffalo, NY years
ago, all I had to pay was the ten dollar deposit per barrel that Russer had
paid to the pickle people as a "bottle deposit".  It was cheaper to sell them
to me than to ship them back to get the ten bucks.  The dill and vinegar smell
lasted a long time, almost a year, but it never hurt the fish or plants.

Bob