importance of r/o & pH meter

The past month has taught me the importance of r/o water and a good pH
meter.

For months my spawns had slowed down to almost non-existant.  Then I
decided to put money into equipment instead of just into fish.  I bought
a new CTA r/o unit and a PinPoint PH meter (chemical tests are a pain).

The meter allowed me to discover that my old r/o unit's product water
was slightly alkaline and buffered more than I thought.  The new unit
now produces water in the high 5's.

In the past four weeks I have successful spawns from four new Apisto's
(including "pandurini"), two African dwarfs (the new Pelvicachromis
sacrimontis and Nanochromis transvestitus), a tetra, and my first ever
Rasbora (perhaps a thousand fry!).  I was excited to see Rasbora going
through the spawning sequence--this is a difficult genus and I had never
seen it from a Rasbora.

Anyway, my point is that investment in the proper equipment will go a
long way toward success.  A serious Apisto keeper/breeder should have an
r/o unit, a reliable pH meter, a refrigerator dedicated to keeping
live/frozen foods, and (of course) reliable heaters/thermometers.

- --Randy

	(back in buisness)