Re: your mail

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Ken Laidlaw wrote:

> I have just obtained a pair of steindachneri from my
> friend.  They spawned once for him but unfortunately ate
> the eggs.  The male is about 2.5 " and the female 1.5.  I
> have seen in the books that the maximum total length for
> these fish is 4", can anyone confirm this as I've never
> seen an apisto this large.  I'd say 3" is a good size for
> any that I've kept seen in the past.

Hello, Ken.

I don't have experience with steindachneri, but I've seen a mcmasteri male
that was definitely 4" - huge fish the size of your average convict
cichlid. This animal was rather humped and showing its age, but still an
impressive specimen.

Don

Donald Nute
Professor and Head, Department of Philosophy        (706) 542-2823
Director, Artificial Intelligence Center            (706) 542-0358
The University of Georgia                       FAX (706) 542-2839
Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A     http://ai.uga.edu/faculty/~dnute