Re: Plants - sound the death march.

Robert Marshall wrote:

> I have placed only 3 bunches of plants in the tank and 1 has survived.
>
> Tank     50 gal 2 week setup
>               Ph 6.4
>                hardness 20 ppm
>                 temp 77.5 F
>                 two floresent 36 inch tubes
> Two plants have died
> White Arrowhead or Syngonium podophyllum v. "white butterfly"
> Brazil Sword or Spathipbyllum tasson
> I read on the Krib page one was not suited for the aquarium
>
> Never research their needs and I know, for that, I deserve a smack in
> the side of my head.  Learned my lesson for today.  Load of nuturients -
> having a bad algae attack.  Any suggestions for plants and if possible
> used their scientic names?
>
> Thanks for the help

Daphnia is a good way to get rid of green water, and also planting the tank will
help you with this problem, but try to understand what is the cause of this algae
bloom. The  tap water you are using maybe is full of nutrients, maybe full of
phosphates this should not be possible because if that is really tap water I hope
you are not drinking poisoned water. Anyway keep doing water changes and
especially if you feed your fish heavily with Chironomus or a food like it and
especially if you don't have plants in the tank.If you put some fast growing
plants in the tank like Bacopa caroliniana, Hygrophila, Limnophila sessiflora
etc. you will soon need to take care of this plants otherwise they will create
problems or just die. You can also try floating plants they will suck up
nutrients directly from the water and filter the light in excess.

Bye
Simone Vicini (psvicini@mdnet.it)