Re: Apisto ID

Gary wrote:

>It's 'cause we're lazy sometimes. Oops. Checked my notes, my map and my
source, and I change my preposition to 'below'.
        It does point to a problem though, and not just with my
carelessness.
It would be nice if we had a standard for identifying interesting wild
forms of apistos like cacatuoides<

Gary,

I do agree with you in that we need to get more organized and figure a way
to identify the different  Apisto morphs. I jumped at your message because
when giving names we are walking a fine line between doing something
constructive or completely confusing things. When I read Rio Ucayali and
above Iquitos in the same sentence I felt I had to say something.

One thing I would like to suggest and would like to hear from others is
that instead of using large rivers we should be using a more specific
marker. Ideally this would be in the form of GPS data but unfortunately not
all collectors have access to the equipment. The other alternative is to
use permanent markers such as towns and villages close to the locality or
even better a numbering system like the ones used by killifish people.
Apistogramma Study Group, are you listening?

I would like to hear more about your collecting trip.

Take care.

Julio