Re: Apisto ID

Jota Melgar wrote:

> I do agree with you in that we need to get more organized and figure a way
> to identify the different  Apisto morphs. I jumped at your message because
> when giving names we are walking a fine line between doing something
> constructive or completely confusing things. When I read Rio Ucayali and
> above Iquitos in the same sentence I felt I had to say something.

Thanks. One types fast on the 'net. It's good if we catch each other up
in the interests of clarity.
> One thing I would like to suggest and would like to hear from others is
> that instead of using large rivers we should be using a more specific
> marker. Ideally this would be in the form of GPS data but unfortunately not
> all collectors have access to the equipment. The other alternative is to
> use permanent markers such as towns and villages close to the locality or
> even better a numbering system like the ones used by killifish people.
> Apistogramma Study Group, are you listening?
>
> I would like to hear more about your collecting trip.

So would I. The problem here is I didn't collect the fish. I got info
from the exporter (hence my notes). There would be no way to put a
precise marker on the morph, as no exporter will ever be that precise.
He may not even know if a fisherman brought the fish in. I think the
killie "CI" (commercial importation) plus a date is what I'd try next
time. Like Rio Ucayali CI 97/02, for example. If we all do it, maybe it
will limp along and catch on at least in apisto circles.
- -Gary