Fwd: RE: panduro vs.

>Further on Ken's thought - where did Pandurini come from???  It is
>clearly from the "Panduro" root, but makes less sense than "Panduroi"
or
>"Panduro" would have as a temporary name.  Perhaps it was just one of
>those bag mispellings on the first shipment?
>
>When the fish was first exported, what was it called.  If Panduro
>himself was the first exporter, did he coin the name, or did it come
>later.  If he did not coin the name, who did and when?

The first time I saw the pandurini was at a lecture given by Uwe Romer
at the San Francisco Aquarium Society.  I don't recall exactly how long
ago it was, but the pandurini was brought in by Uwe Romer and David
Soares as a new fish and called an apistogramma "blue sky".  I was told,
and I don't remember by whom, that pandurini or pandorini (I didn't even
know what the spelling was at the time) translates from German (I'm not
German speaking) as "blue sky".  I believe that the source of this
information had been either talking to Uwe Romer or David Soares on this
topic (but I could be wrong).  Does anybody out there know if "blue sky"
translates to anything in German that even remote resembles pandurini.