RE: Re: panduro vs.

Regarding the pandurini description and photos, I found that the
non-breeding males would show the caudal triangle much more clearly than
the adult spawners (essentially constant pH throughout the period,
though I have not checked for pH correlations).  Once my male started
breeding, the triangle would only be faint at best.  However, the blue
cast to the caudal was nearly always identifiable.  Yes, as with many
apistos, these guys change color quite a bit with mood, time of day,
etc.  Many of the subadult/young adult males show a distinct body spot
(which unlike the females is smallish, round and in the same general
place).  I don't recall seeing this spot on male Nijsseni, or if it is
there, it is much less frequently seen.  Does anyone else consider the
spot a species identifier here?

I've been trying to determine how to describe other differences that
exist.  I am certain I could separate male pandurinis from male nijsseni
in a mixed tank with good accuracy, but I can't tell you exactly what
attributes would be the indicators.  Kind of like telling the difference
between Coke and Pepsi.  I'll take that challenge any day with a good
chunk of cash at stake, but I could'nt explain the difference to you in
words.  In my experience, the fish are similar looking, though clearly
distinct.

Tom