Re: A.nijsseni and harems.

> The Linke & Staeck book says that there is no harem forming
> tendency in nijsseni.   Has anyone ever kept more than one
> female per single male in a tank?  If yes, what were your
> observations.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken.

Hi

I've had 1m2f on two separate occasions. Both times the male spawned
with both females but he always stuck to his first lady, so no real
haremforming there, but not the strict monogamous either. Come to think
of it, I've never been successful with 1m2f. The only spawns that worked
were with 1 pair only, anyone else?

Just recently I noticed a similar behaviour with Ap. pertensis, a species
that is reported monogamous in literature. I had 1m2f in a 160L (40 gal)
tank. The male spawned with both females within 5 days. I had lowered pH
and both spawns were successful. One week after the first females fry were
free swimming he suddenly became very aggressive towards her so I had to
move her. Another week went by and he did the same with the second female.
He is now alone with 10 1cm long fry. A very recent spawn with a pair seems
to work a lot better so I wouldn't recommend 1m2f, YMMV though.

//Fredrik

- --
Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se
Saab Ab
Flutter and Loads Department
voice +46 13 18 54 60, fax +46 13 18 33 63