Re: General Hardness GH vs. Carbonate hardness KH

Hi William,

KH (carbonate hardness) sizes the concentration of hydrogen carbonate (HCO3- an
anion). General hardness or total hardness sizes the concentration of calcium and
magnesia ions (Ca++ and Mg++, cations). At higher pH values hydrogen carbonate
turns to carbonate (CO3--). Those Ca/Mg++ ions and carbonate may fall out  and
make those ugly white crustation (I think the english word is lime, CaCO3) near
to the water surface.

You are using ion exchange resin that exchanges ++ ions with 2 + ions (sodium or
potassium) but only these (the reason why KH stays at the same level as before).
That is the reason why the regeneration of the resin requires potassium salt.

That way hardness is reduced but electric conductivity and salt concentration
rises. Maybe our dwarfs cichlids like salt more than hardness. I don't know.

Alternatives:
*you could use another resin that changes ++ ion with acid H+ (regeneration with
hydrochloric acid: a little bit dangerous). Due to the low pH of the water after
ion exchange HCO3- turns to CO2  +  H2O. Aerating for a few hours (or days) will
reduce the carbon dioxide and mixing with some tap water will raise the pH to an
acceptable value. The result is soft water with low salt concentration. PH
measurement is absolutely necessary before putting to the tank !!.
*RO-devices

HTH,
Thomas