Re: Fwd: Re: New subscriber

Ed Pon wrote:

> Uwe Romer wrote about the sex determination of apistos being largely
> dependent on temperature and ph.

I heard about that but canīt believe. My last A. cactuoides fry had only 10 %
female. Hatching was done artificial by (taking them away after swimming free).
The tempeature in the spawning tank was 25 C the pH about over 7. I thought that
would cause masses of female - but didnīt. Maybe the reason is the hatching
temperature which was higher 28 C ??

>  I would guess that when a certain
> species of apisto is collected at a certain time and locale, and if they
> were sorted by size (wholesale lists usually list size), you may end up
> with a great deal of one sex-- particularly in young specimens (one of
> the stores I buy from usually ships the smaller size apistos because
> they get more fish in a box).

That may be a very  important factor (i havenīt thought of).

Thomas