Re: Fwd: Re: New subscriber

Thomas Soelter wrote:

> Ed Pon wrote:
>
> > Uwe Romer wrote about the sex determination of apistos being largely
> > dependent on temperature and ph.
>
> I heard about that but canīt believe. My last A. cactuoides fry had only 10 %
> female. Hatching was done artificial by (taking them away after swimming free).
> The tempeature in the spawning tank was 25 C the pH about over 7. I thought that
> would cause masses of female - but didnīt. Maybe the reason is the hatching
> temperature which was higher 28 C ??

I have read some where on the www (and cont remember the link now)  That
sex was determined in the first 3 days. and the pH affected males, and
temperature females (or vice versa)

Try the links from CHOP - there are a couple of more scientific ones
they raised heaps of fry and fiddled with the conditions.

Hope this helps

Steph