Re: New to list...lotsa Q's...

George Barwood wrote:

> Jesse Mathies wrote:
> >
> > I'm very new to this list, and have a few (maybe more than a few)
> > questions about Dwarf Cichlids:
> >
> > I know nothing about Dwarf Cichlids, other than that they are very
> > pretty, and I'm wondering if they any species would work well in a 10
> > gallon aquarium that I'm planning on setting up. My limitations are that
> > the tank is only ten gallons, and that I can only provide 15W of
> > fluorescent lighting. Can I work dwarf cichlids into this setup?
>
> Yes, that is the great thing about dwarfs, you don't need a big tank.

Yeah! :)

> > If so, what are the requirements of dwarf cichlids?
>
> They mostly need soft water, and a pH of 7.0 downwards,
> except for the African shell dwellers.

Ok.

> > I understand they need peat filtering.
>
> Peat is one way. I recommend adding peat to a large container from which you take you
> change water - peat in the filter is maybe OK, but needs careful attention.
>
> A lot depends on the water you are starting from - if it is hard, you may need to use
> rain-water or RO water instead. If it is soft, nothing to do at all.

I'm going to ask whoever supplies my water for a chemical analysis. This
would give me a good idea of where I'm starting from.

> > Where do I find the peat for this? Do I use peat moss or peat?
> I use peat, I think peat moss is recommended. I'm not sure that it matters.
>
> > I've tried putting some boiled portions of Hagen Peat
> > Plates I had lying around, into my Aquaclear Mini, and as they color of
> > the water didn't change to the diluted tea color I expected, I'm
> > assuming I did something wrong.
>
> Not necessarily - I don't notice much change in water colour.

Ok.

> > Also, what be an adequate filter? I've used Aquaclear Minis in the past
> > and liked them.
>
> Fine - stick with what you know. Consider having live plants - these help with water
> quality, and dwarfs generally like them.

I have a tank full (I mean FULL) of Java Fern I could use.
About the filter, do I need to consider fry being sucked into the intake
when purchasing a filter? I've never actually had to deal with fry
before. Neither my Emperor Tetras nor my clown plecos (these are the
only two fish I've kept) have spawned.

> > How many of which sexes of which species (whew!) can I keep in the above
> > mentioned setup? Also, what (if any) would make suitable tankmates?
>
> It depends whether you want to breed (which is one reason why they are cool).
> If so, a single pair would probably be best ( depending on species ).
> I would recommend Apistogramma cacatuoides.

Thanks for the recommendation. So I should look for 1.1 Apistogramma
cacatuoides? I've researched these at The Krib. I'll have to see if my
LFS carries them. If not, are their any others I could consider keeping
in my 1o gallon?

> Small tetras make good tankmates (neons, glowlights).

Are tankmates beneficial to Dwarf Cichlids? I would like to have other
fish with them, but it wouldn't be a big deal for me to keep the dwarves
alone.

> > Finally, what do they eat?
>
> Mine are not keen on dried foods - frozen or live food is best.

Ok.

> > I would greatly appreciate any and all info regarding Dwarf Cichlids. I
> > only hope the amount of questions I ask aren't terribly overwhelming.
>
> Hvae a look at the Krib web site, this has lots of great info.
> I think the URL is http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/krib/Apisto
>
> HTH,
> George

Thanks George! I've been visiting The Krib a lot lately for info on
Dwarf Cichlids.
btw, what HTH mean? TIA!

- --
Jesse Mathies