Re: New to list...lotsa Q's...

Thomas Soelter wrote:

> Welcome to the list,
>
> jessem wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm very new to this list, and have a few (maybe more than a few)
> > questions about Dwarf Cichlids:
>
> > I know nothing about Dwarf Cichlids, other than that they are very
> > pretty, and I'm wondering if they any species would work well in a 10
> > gallon aquarium that I'm planning on setting up. My limitations are that
> > the tank is only ten gallons, and that I can only provide 15W of
> > fluorescent lighting. Can I work dwarf cichlids into this setup?
> >

> a 10 g tank seems to be pretty small. The light is quite all right for that tank.
>
> > If so, what are the requirements of dwarf cichlids? I understand they
> > need peat filtering. Where do I find the peat for this? Do I use peat
> > moss or peat? I've tried putting some boiled portions of Hagen Peat
> > Plates I had lying around, into my Aquaclear Mini, and as they color of
> > the water didn't change to the diluted tea color I expected, I'm
> > assuming I did something wrong.
> >

> Peat helps but is not a must for non sensible species except you have very hard
> and alkaline water (pH>7,5 - 8, in the already setup tank). I use granulated peat
> in filter sacs (easier to change) from a pet store.
>
> > Also, what be an adequate filter? I've used Aquaclear Minis in the past
> > and liked them.
> >

> The filter is quite ok for a non overcrowded tank but regular cleaning is highly
> recommended every 2 - 4 weeks. In such filters there is not enough volume to
> place any peat in it. Weekly changes (25 %) of water is also recommended.

I'm not limiting myself to an Aquaclear Mini (I still have to choose a
filter).
Do you have any preferred filters for use with Dwarf Cichlids?

> > How many of which sexes of which species (whew!) can I keep in the above
> > mentioned setup? Also, what (if any) would make suitable tankmates?
> >

> I don't know anything about your water quality (hardness, pH) and whether you are
> already experienced in keeping fish. So this seems to me the most difficult
> question. Carefully one pair of Rams (i had a lot of bad luck with them) or
> cacatoo dwarf might be all right for you. Kribs are already ok for you but the
> tank mates seem to be very small for them.

I have only experience with keeping Emperor tetras and clown plecos
alive (no experience raising any fry). Thanks for your recommendations.
So my tank would be too small for Kribs?

> > Finally, what do they eat?
> >

> Many dwarfs eat flakes but the diet should be varied by frozen daphnia, mosquito
> larvae. Optimal is living food (daphnia, etc. if available) .

Ok.

> Greetings from germany
> Thomas

Thanks very much, Thomas. Your help is appreciated.

- --
Jesse Mathies
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada