Worms...

> : The aformentioned Bolivian Rams (Microgeophagus Altispinosa) seem to
> : have a case of worm/nematodes.  Symptoms: tiny red pin shaped "spikes"
> : hanging out their anus and have clamped fins.  I've tried Hexamite
> : unsuccessfully and a deworming medication with pellets and frozen brine
> : shrimps.  I actually removed several with a tiny pair of tweezers.  All
> : remedies aside, they still have these damn worms sticking out their
> : butts!!!!  WHAT CAN I DO?

Camalanus, right?  We lost some A. macmasterii to this, when they were
traded to us infected. We treated the tank with Piperazine, which you can
get at the grocery store in the "cat"  section" (we didn't know that at
the time, and spent 2-3x as much at the fish store), tetra medicated food
(I think the one that's imbedded with Flagyl, Kathy would know for sure).
Didn't help the fish, but I think that's because they were too far gone to
begin with.  But the pests did not spread to other fish in the tank.  I
know others on this list have some better cure ideas and more experience
with nematodes... let's hear em! (so I can collect them and put em up on
the Krib, natch.)

Incidentally, the person who traded us the fish realized that she had been
using old fish water to seed her live food pond, and then bringing the
live food back to the tank, thus helping the cycle of the parasites.  Be
careful out there!

> May be Lernaea, or Anchor Worm.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me.  I didn't think anchor worms don't
protrude out the anus.

  - Erik

- ---
Erik Olson