Re: New to list...lotsa Q's...

Donald Nute wrote:

8< snip >8

> By the way, I would expect Emperors and plecos to be terrible tank mates
> for Apistos. I wouldn't expect any fry to survive with these guys around.
> But I am sure you could maintain them together. I have P. altispinossa and
> A. aggassizii coexisting quite happily in a 55 gallon with plecos, clown
> loaches, a keyhole cichlid, and a variety of tetras and hatchets. But
> while the alts have spawned in there several times, they've never hatched
> a single egg.

I intend on trading my emperors and plecos at my LFS for store credit.
According to the 1 inch/gallon rule, the tanks crowded anyway.

Would I be able to get away with keeping just one of the clown plecos in
the ten gallon with the Cichlids? I would like something to keep algae
in check. Perhaps the smallest one (about 2" long, two years old, I
suspect it's full grown)? TIA

8< snip <8

> Get whatever they have and give it a try. Another species I've had great
> success with in a 10 gallon tank is A. caetei. This species is not as
> colorful as many except when the female is in her bright yellow and black
> breeding colors, but they also breed at a small size and are very easy.
> The hardest part of getting and raising these fish I have found is
> locating females in the usual assortment you get at aquarium stores. This
> is a big problem with rams, too. It seems like the collectors mostly
> collect males. A better strategy might be to get some fish from someone on
> this list or from through American Cichlid Association fish list.
>
> Don

Thanks! I'll look into this.

- --
Jesse Mathies