Ramirezi died

Darren J. Hanson" <>
 wrote: <<<<<Ramirezi died
(...)
My suggestion before putting anymore fish in that tank, is to take all
the
fish out, bag them or whatever, and then strip down your tank. A good
thing
to use on cleaning it is vinegar. Rinse the tank and then set it back
up.
Place your fish back in it. Don't use the peat you had added to the tank
previously. Check your fish for a few hours to see how they act. This
way
you will know it isn't your tank. Also soak all the tank gravel,
decorations, filters, etc. in the vinegar. The best way to find out what
happened is using the process of elimination.>>>>>>

This would be a safe approach, although I am not sure about the real
disinfecting potential of vinegar (I like it too, but as a mild
cleaner). Another possibility, quite safe and maybe involving less work,
is to leave the tank free of fish for a few weeks (say, 2-3), increasing
the temperature as much as possible (say, 85 or even a little more).
This will disrupt the life cycle of any parasites that might be present,
and actually eliminate a lot of possible pathogens.

Maybe I missed it, but I still do not know the ammonia and nitrite
levels present in that tank, and a non-infective cause is still quite
possible to be the one.
The way I see it, work-intensive sterilization procedures are best
indicated after water quality problems have been ruled out. But, to some
extent, it's a personal choice, and others may feel differently!

Dionigi