Re: Ramirezi died

Thanks everbody for your advice and oppinions. It is a little embarrasing:
I told you that I had two borellis and two unspecified specimen, well, the
borellis aren't borellis. The thing is that in trying to determine the
species I referred to a SA dwarf cichlid book that does not include
Nanacara Anomala, and so since the fish fit best to the description of A.
borelli, I assumed... Anyway, I am now almost positive that I have two N.
anomala, and one specimen of N. taenia. One more undetermined.
As to the water values: I cannot give you nitrate, nitrite or ammoniak
measurements, since I don't have the kits to find out. The four remaining
fish are doing well and show no signs of sickness, but then - until their
sudden death the Rams look perfectly fine. One more fact that might help is
that during the last week I had lowered the pH and hardness, because my
water was really hard (16 dH) and had a pH of 8. I lowerded the pH first by
adding rain water with good pH and dH values, then I added water treatment
from the pet store, and finally I got an RO unit and did partial
waterchanges. When it happened the dH had gone down to 13 and the pH was at
7.5 So I am wondering if it could have been denitrification setting in and
killing the fish by O.D.-ing ammoniak. But just a wild guess from a
non-expert.
For those who want to know the tank setup, its 25g and has dense plants,
two or three rocks and coconut halves for hiding place.

	Martin
Martin Rausch

Dept. Communication & Cooperation
Fraunhofer Institute