Re: cold fish

At 11:22 AM 1/14/98 -0500, Frauley/Elson wrote:
>Hi all,
>I just survived the great ice storm of 1998 (7 sub-zero days with no
>power or heat). DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!, but I have learned that
>Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis, Apisto cacatuoides, mcmasteri and
>veijita can survive 30 hours at 10C, but N taenia and D maculatus get
>into trouble at 12C. How's that for useless info? I got most of my fish
>to shelter on the 3rd day. You can do a lot with blankets and floating
>coke bottles full of hot water, when you can find hot water.
>There, I have vented. Thank you.
>Gary (disgruntled in Montreal)

Sorry to hear about that, Gary!

I know this isn't as bad but a couple years ago here in Sacramento, CA we
were having bad flooding in most of the areas and power lines were down
everywhere. I think it was in December 94. What I did was nothing at first
except water changes on all the tanks I had (over 70) with mostly apistos.
After the second day I was noticing problems with some of the fish. I then
realized they could survive better in a bag put in a fish box, somewhat like
getting them ready to ship. I spent about 10 hours bagging all the pairs,
groups, singles and fry. The adults lasted much longer than the fry and our
outage was only 62 hrs total. I put the fish in the bags with fresh water
that had a dechlorinating chemical in it. I lost 99% of all my fry from the
apistos, my adults did survive, A. cacatuoides, A. macmasteri, A. 'Rio
Tefe', A. rotpunkt, A. borellii, A. juruensis, A. hongsloi. The problem I
found was leaving them in their tanks with their filters with no air going
to the tanks. The bacteria in the sponges died off and started poisioning
the tanks. (FWIW)

Kaycy