Re: Sponge Filters

Jesse,

Check at your local fish store.  The sponge filter is one of the simplest and
in some cases can be considered one of the most effective for estblishing a
biological filter bed.  It is basically a plastic tube which is perforated
and the sponge fits over this part. or some have a base on which a sponge
rests and then a plastic tube which comes out at the top of the sponge.  There
is a air source such as an air pump which pushes air into the tube above the
sponge which results in an airflow upward through the tube which istitutes
water flow through the sponge and up through the tube.  Beneficial bacteria
(Pseudomonus (sic) and Nitrobacters) establish themselves in the sponge and
provide a means to break down ammonia and nitrite (bad for fish) into nitrate
which is not so toxic and is removed through water changes.

At 10:59 AM 1/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but what is a sponge filter?
>Please list examples (name brands, models). Thanks again everyone!
>
>--
>Jesse Mathies
>Surrey, British Columbia
>Canada