P. subocellatus, Nannochromis Tranvestitus

Hi.  I just put up some articles on the Krib, one of which is a Sub-O
breeding article.  Our experience has been that when they were ready to
breed, it was pretty easy.  Getting them "ready" sometimes seems to
involve radically changing their environment ("Oh my gaaawwwd, we're gonna
die!  Spaaaaaaaaawn!"), or being out of town for a week or more.  So they
might spawn for you right after you've gotten them.  They are normally
exceedingly shy, and if given adequate cover, you'll hardly see them at
all.  Definitely a fish that does well with dithers.  When they do come
out, they're a very pretty fish, especially the female in breeding
coloration: candy-stripe red-and-black, with that super-reflective dorsal
fin...

Tank conditions: low hardness, plants, 78-80 F, not too picky about food,
unless it's a wild specimen (I think we weaned ours first to baby brine
shrimp, and eventually to flake foods.)

As for N. transvestitus, well, there's only so many tanks we can keep at a
time, and so many hours in a day, but someday we'll breed this one.
Meanwhile, I do have a couple of posts others have made on this list...

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/Apisto/P-subocellatus.html
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/Apisto/N-transvestitus.html

  - Erik

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, AEIGPHD wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to this mailing list. I just started a 55 gal planted tank with
> 3 pelvicachromis subocellatus and 1 femal nannochromis transvestitus (tank
> alos contains congo tetras and west african killies).  I am looking to breed
> the cichlids.  I found these dwarfs in local pet shops but they are hard to
> come by.  Does anyone know of any good mail order or local New York
> breeders/suppiliers?
> Anyone have any breeding tips for theses species?   Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> 					-- Andy

- ---
Erik Olson