Re: Sv: veijitas

Anton E. Høgh wrote:

> ----------
> > Fra: Frauley/Elson <fraulels@minet.ca>
> > Til: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
> > Emne: Re: veijitas
> > Dato: 21. januar 1998 19:42
> >
> > Anton E. Høgh wrote:
> >

> Gary Wrote:
> >
> > Hello Anton,
> > Veijitas are a nice, generally easy to keep apisto. I found mine spawned
> > regularly in 140 ppm water, if peat filtration was used.
> > Actually, they're my favourite apisto - you got lucky there. They are
> > becoming more common than they were, but they're still not something you
> > encounter every day.
> > Thay can be aggressive among themselves - I was never able to harem
> > spawn them even when I had dozens. They form pairs. Also, as odd as it
> > sounds, the females were active but unless the tank was well-planted, I
> > always found my males to be shy.
> > Good luck,
> > Gary.
> >
> Thanks for quick reply Gary
>
> I have another question concerning Veijitas, it´s a bit embarrasing but i
> can't destinguish the sexes. Also i have not been able to find any pictures
> ind books or on the net. The guy at the store where I bought them was not
> sure if they really was Veijitas. The pairs I´ve got has a marble like
> pattern on their heads in a Bluish/green color and a "black patch on their
> tail" (Sorry about the terms) :-\ does that sound like Veijitas ?

Hi,

I just received my copies of the Baensch Aquarium Atlas, V 2&3, this
morning.
On page 833 of Vol 2 (English version) is a pretty good picture. He says
males and females are very different (typical of Apistos). Pointed fins
and larger size on males and rounded fins and gray (yellow when
breeding) on females.

Hope this helps.

Wright
- --
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679 huntley@ix.netcom.com
"Quantum electrodynamics (QED): the dreams stuff is made of."