Re: West African Dwarfs -- Nannochromis Tranvestitus

AEIGPHD wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to this mailing list. I just started a 55 gal planted tank with
> 3 pelvicachromis subocellatus and 1 femal nannochromis transvestitus (tank
> alos contains congo tetras and west african killies).  I am looking to breed
> the cichlids.  <snip>

> Anyone have any breeding tips for theses species?   Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>                                         -- Andy

I'll give my recent experience with each of these.  I had a pair of wild-caught
subocellatus since last March, but they showed no interest in spawning and were
very shy.  In December I moved them to a 29 with a few tetras.  Within a couple
of days, the pair started to show color and female started to show interest in
spawning.  Then I conducted a 70% change with all r/o water and thinned out the
tetra community.  Shortly after, the pair spawned in a cave.  The female and male
work together guarding the fry.  They persistently bear text book colors.

The Nanochromis transvestitus are said to require a pH of 5.0 or below to spawn.
When I found fry, I observed a pH just below 5.0.  I know of at least two
successive broods living together in the 10 gallon, so the juveniles don't seem
to threaten the new fry.

As far as getting fish, you can ask on this list.  (All I have available are
fry/juveniles.)  Many of us will ship.  Also, you can check into the ACA, the
Apistogramma Study Group, or (if you breed fish) the North Am. Fish Breeders
Guild.

- --Randy