Substrate - Silica sand

I had A. cacatuoides and L. curviceps breed over playsand
(yellow-white), and A. staecki and A. cacatuoides breed over coarser
silica sand for swimming pool filter. The latter is better, because it
is slightly darker, and it does not tend to get compacted.

One thing does not exclude another: in a couple of tanks I have sand on
the bottom, and a few dark oak leaves too. I like sand also because of
the added biological filtration effect and the extra surface for growth
of natural fry food, although in same cases it may make disease
treatment less effective.  Apistos do like to sift it.

Dionigi