Altispinosa's and Ramirezi's and Cory's Oh My!!

Good morning all.

I'd like to set up my tank with a south american "black water" theme.  I
imagine the low PH and soft water would do well for my two altispinosas
and my ramirezis.  Ideally I'd like to get them to spawn, but as of now
it doesn't seem like they've even paired off.  The males are still
chasing the females around, and in the case of the rams, the female is
also chasing the male ram AND all other fish.

I'd like to do the following to my tank.  I'd be grateful if those of
you out there familar with south american fish would give me some
advice, guidance or warnings.

1)	I'd like to do a gradual water change with R0 water.  I plan to
do about 20% per day for 4 days.

2)	I'd like to add some old leaves (preferably oak) to the bottom
of the tank.

3)	I'd like to add some unprepared but dry driftwood obtained on
canoeing trips on the Canadian shield.

4)	Should I add a bag of peat pellets to the external filter or in
the gravel by the UGF or forget it al together.

5)	Should I worry about PH and/or hardness shock

6)	If they haven't paired off by now, at least two months, will
they ever?

7)	I'd like to introduce a pair of apistogramma caucatoides (sp?).
Any conflicts?
8)	Any other tid-bits related to south american cichlids in the
Toronto area.