Re: Rams have spawned

On Jan 22, 11:12am, EXT AVS; \Leo Reinhard\ wrote:

> How much tank water for how many drops of Liquifry.?

Go easy at first, just 3-5 drops in a quart as starter. Then wait and see.

> Do I keep this in a bright or dark area?

I kept my rotifers in not too much light, but not really dark either.

> How will I know when the culture is ready to feed to the fry? Will I see
> something moving in the culture?

When you feed the culture (with a couple of drops of milk) you'll see a
clouding at the surface. I don't mean the milk clouding but the infusoria
reproducing. F.i. rotifers can be seen as *tiny* dots in the water.

> How long will the culture be good? Do I start a new culture each day or how
> do I keep the culture going?

Depends on how hard you feed them and harvest from them. A friend has had
cultures running for years and they are still OK. Not very many cichlids
fry require infusoria so one culture plus one backup should be enough.

> Will the culture eventually go bad and if so what are the signs?

It'll be dirty and start smelling?

> Any other tips are most welcome
> I do have a small clump of Java Moss im the vicinity of the spawn-it is hard
> to find in the LFS in this area>
> Thanks
> Leo

Try to get rotifers. You can feed them with boiled rice (just a few grains
now and then) and they stay very clean and odorless. These buggers! are
visible to the eye so it's easy to check if they reproduce. I lost my
culture due too sloppiness and I punish myself daily for that...

Hope this helps

Fredrik

- --
Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se
Saab Ab
Flutter and Loads Department
voice +46 13 18 54 60, fax +46 13 18 33 63