Re: Rift lake cichlids without lake salts

Hi Tom,

this is the first time I write to this list. But I'll try it.

TOM PRICE wrote:

>  ... The scientific name was either
> pseudotropheus auratus or melanochromis auratus, and the fish was
> variously identified as coming from Lake Nyasa or Lake Malawi.

pseudotroph. auratus ist the old name of the fish what's in germany called "
Gold Cichlid". The current name is melanochromis auratus.

>...I also don't have any Malawi lake salts

You don't need any "Malawi lake salts" as far as I know. I have Malawi cichlids
since 20 years, and I never had problems. The water in my tanks was pH 7.5 ...
8, dGH 15, temperature 25 ... 28 ° C !

>   Does anyone know exactly what's in the Malawi lake salts?  For the
> time being, I'm going to run a back filter with some crushed coral in
> it to raise the pH and hardness.

You should control the hardness and the pH, and when the water ist not enough
basic or hard put normally chalk into your back filter. Chalk is cheaper than
crushed corals, and it does the same.

good luck

Wilfred Teiser
phoenix1@t-online.de