Re: Ph. and Breeding Nannochromis Transvestitus

> what do you think is the reason the pH has to be around 5? Is it the osmotic
> pressure? Or maybe the reduction of microbes in the water?

Wilfred,

My technical knowledge is not too great on such subjects
but I have read that sperm can have difficulty penetrating
eggs if the pH (or is harness the factor?) is not similar
to the natural environment of the fish.

This is a beautiful fish and I hope to have them again soon
as my friend has six fry he is growing.  They were spawned
by someone from the North of England who seems to have
success with most fish.  I believe though that the water
from his area is soft.

Good luck,
Ken - Scotland.