Re: Apisto. Fry`s

George (Len/Geo) wrote:

> My Apisto. cacatuoides (Triple Red) fry`s are free swimming since last
> Thursday. How long should I wait before I separate the fry`s from the
> parents? Don`t want to lose any fry`s . Lost enough fry`s due to the ice
> storm.

I believe the father can ( and probably should ) be removed immediately. I think that in
nature cacatuoides mothers would typically drive the father away after spawning.
I am fairly sure I observed a father eating fry immediately after they were free
swimming.

The mother should be left with the fry for at least 2 weeks. It has been reported that
fry grow better when parented - I'm not sure of the mechanism, maybe she herds them to
places in the tank where there is food, maybe when she sucks them into her mouth to move
them there is a beneficial effect, maybe she chews up food for them. Who knows?

George Barwood ( this is just an opinion from a novice )