Re: Rams wanted

Isn't it wonderfully refreshing that we can get a laugh from this mail list as
well as very insightful and valuable information.  I tend to agree about
cutting ourselves some slack as the posts have been fairly brief and there has
been wide spread interest in obtaining "Rams" based on posts that I have
noted.

I am trying to get my A. cruzi to feel more comfortable in their 20 gal. long
tank with hatchet fish.  I have given them plants and a nice clay cave which
the female tends to stay in or around most of the time.  I will start working
on lowering the total DS (disolved solids) by doing moderate water changes
with
RO water and lowering the pH probably with Black Water Extract (Tetra).  The
filters on this tank include an Eheim over the back power filter and a sponge
filter.  I will watch this baby closely as we have a water softening system
for
the whole house which is a DI unit/Carbon unit which uses a resin which is
regenerated using Potasium salt.  I may have to look into finding other
water "conditioners" which will bring the water more in line with what these
fish might find in the wild.  If any have suggestions or recommendations it
would be nice to hear them.  The last time I checked the KH & GH of my tap
water from the system it had a GH of less than 1 dH or 10ppm (Mg/Ca) but the
KH was registering abount 9.5 dKH or 170ppm.  I haven't checked total DS by
using my electronic meter yet but that is next on my list of "to do"'s.

At 08:37 PM 1/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave Gomberg wrote:
>  Maybe if we all cut each other a little slack.  It's not as
>> if they were discussing the price of killies or postage stamps or Barbie
>> collectables!
>
>Is somebody out there breeding barbies? Where do you get a good Ken? The
>ones we get locally (via Indonesia) all appear very sterile, but this
>could save a lot of money at Christmas. I could spend my savings on
>apistos.
>-Gary

       William M. Groth
       groth@ruf.rice.edu