Re: Fwd: Re: What does a agassizii really look like.

Some years ago, I remember reading in Aquarium digest that Bitaeniata, I
>think they were still being called Kleei at the time, will throw both
>red and blue individuals in their spawns.  Perhaps this is also true of
>Bitaeniatas.

A. bitaeniata are extremeley variable in nature and in captivity. If you
look through a large Peruvian importation you will find much individual
variation from the bold and beautiful to the homely (remember some sneaker
males look almost like females). I'm not sure if I agree with Romer's
statment though about agassizi. There has to be some regional population
variation. I've never studied them in the wild, but from the commercial
imports the wild morphs aren't that variable (e.g. you will never see red,
blue/white and Rio Tefe from the same collecting locale). My dos pesos
- - Steve Waldron