Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: What does a agassizii really look like.

Steve wrote:

>A. bitaeniata are extremeley variable in nature and in captivity. If
you
>look through a large Peruvian importation you will find much individual
>variation from the bold and beautiful to the homely (remember some
sneaker
>males look almost like females). I'm not sure if I agree with Romer's
>statment though about agassizi. There has to be some regional
population
>variation. I've never studied them in the wild, but from the commercial
>imports the wild morphs aren't that variable (e.g. you will never see
red,
>blue/white and Rio Tefe from the same collecting locale). My dos pesos
>- Steve Waldron

I think it was in Cichlid News--Marc Weiss said he can find all the wild
discus-types in the same waters.  Not sure if locals moved them around
or if the wholesalers sort by types before shipping them to the U.S.  I
wonder how much sorting is done by the wholesalers on apistos.