blue ram varieties

 mr. dilbert,

i'm no expert but i can tell you what i know based on what i see in
petshops here in nyc.
the blue ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi, aka, Papiliochromis ramirezi,
depending on whom you ask, scientists are still debating whether the
first name is valid, it also used to be Apistogramma ramirezi, in some of
the older books, but that name is no longer valid) comes from the flooded
savannas of venezuela.

because it is a popular fish in the hobby, there are many varieties
developed by humans.  they are in general larger and longer in body size
than the wild species.  there is also gold and long-finned varieties.
the so-called german ram is a much more compact, small, pretty and
colorful fish, and i hear, sturdier and easier to keep.  i have never
kept one so i can't tell you if they are hardier, but they sure are
prettier.  unfortunately, rams seem to be rather difficult to keep, i
myself have had more luck with their larger relative, the bolivian ram
(M. altispinosa).

i hope this is helpful.

tsuh yang chen, new york city