Re: blue ram varieties

I am a Blue Ram fan.
I used to keep 3 tanks (20 L) with 3-4 in each tank.
I got them to breed many times but didn't have the time to care for the young
(remove the parents, treat the eggs etc). The parents ate the eggs everytime.
One of the most beautiful fish you can own IMHO. Especially if you get some
natural sun light in your aquarium.
I tried different lights (this was 15 years ago and the selection is much
bigger now) but nothing made them glow like sunlight.  It was like they got
plugged into and outlet.  The blues where incredible.  You could see them
"flash" from across the room when the sun was shining on the tanks.
I am setting up tanks again and plan on having a few Blue Rams.
I was always frustrated by them dying after a about a year and a half.  I
would drive all over trying to get "better water", do water change twice a
week.  I just read something the other day that they only have a life span of
about 2 years and are sexually mature at I think 4-6 weeks.  Wish I would have
known that back then.
I don't think the Bolivian Rams are a colorful as the Blue Ram, and they look
more like a geophagus.
Also I read the captive bred rams are smaller than the wild rams?
As far as the German Rams, my understanding is that they are Blue Rams, but
tank raised and bred and long removed from wild stock.

Hope this helps

Tim