Re: A.borellii

Hi Brendan,

A.borellii are one of the more peaceful and easy to keep
apistos.  I think this is one of the few that can be safely
kept and bred in neutral and perhaps even slightly alkaline
water.  So your water looks fine.  If you were to get one
of the more difficult Apistos like A.iniridae then you may
need to keep your water more on the acid side.

What size is a 20gall tank, is it 36x12x12?  If so then you
should manage to keep all four fish together.  Make sure
you spread your pots around the tank and include separate
areas by putting up borders such as pieces of bog wood or
lines of plants.  Incidentally I use clay pot stands about
4" diameter turned upside down with a little notch cut out
of the rim as spawning sites, the fish love them.

When I had borelli they spawned are reared a few fry (<10)
at an incredibly small size, the female was only about
0.75" total length.

It is certainly worth while joining the British Cichlid
Assoc if you want to learn more about cichlids, there may
even be a cichlid group in your area.

For my info are there any other Apistos available in your
part of the country at present?  Up here recently have been
available A.nijsseni, A.panduro and A.cacatuoides these are
the first I have seen in the shops for ages.

Cheers,
Ken.

Ken Laidlaw
Royal Observatory, Edinburgh