Re: Mutant Aggie Spawn

>One thing I am absolutely against except as a last resort
>is to hatch the eggs artificially as I believe that in the
>long term this would lead us all to having to hatch
>artificially as the fish would forget how to rear the fry
>themselves.  This has already happened with angels as a
>proper pair are more the exception than the rule after
>generations of breeders pulling eggs to try and maximise
>their financial return.  For me one of the main pleasures
>in keeping dwarfs is watchingthe females herd and protect
>their fry.

Is it that they (artificially reared angels, discus) have "forgotten" to
raise their offspring or have been so inbred from color selection that they
are inferior in most life functions, including rearing offspring? IMO,
removing apisto eggs and fry from their parents doesn't necesarily mean
these fish will grow up to be poor parents, could mean the guarantee of a
next captive generation though. You are right though, the best part is
watching reproductive/parental behavior.
- - Steve W.