Re: Re: wild-caught fish

In a message dated 2/14/98 3:41:14 AM, IVIassacre@aol.com wrote:

<<.is there any real purpose to keeping wild specimens?>>
<< What kind of effect(if any) do aquarists have on
the wild populations of aquarium fish? >>

There are really two points brought up here, and I'll try to address them
seperatly.
1)  Sometimes when a strain has been bred repeatedly the fish start to differ
both physically and behaviorally from wild stock.  This can occur even when
there has been no deliberate attempt to select for given traits, (color,
finnage, etc.)The other reason that many aquarists search out wild
importations is that many fish vary, sometimes dramatically, over their area
of distribution in the wild.  This is seen in many killifish, discus and other
larger cichlids of Central and South America, as well as our Apisto.'s and
Pelvivachromis among many others.
2)  As far as wild collecting adversly affecting wild populations, I think
that in general this is not a problem, although there might be isolated
exceptions. Most of our common aquarium fish have relativly short life spans,
and reproduce in relativly large numbers.  A far more pressing problem is the
loss of habitat.  The danger posed by logging, development, mining, etc. is
far, far greater than the possibility of over collection of a population for
the trade.
  The greatest danger would probably to long lived species with low rates of
reproduction, especially to those species located at or near the top of the
food chain.
Anyway, that's my 2-cents worth.
Jeff
WndrKdnomo@aol.com