Re: going to Chicago

Mike Jacobs wrote:

> Randy.......please give the parameters of the D. maculatus.......I have
> 3-4 pair of mature F0 D. fillimentosis (spelling.....ok, ok....no books
> around.  pH what?????  hardness!!  I heard a pretty low pH is necessary.
>
> Mike

According to Linke/Staeck, their knowledge of the species habitats were
"moderately soft and near neutral."  However, they add that "soft, acidic water"
works better for breeding.

Most of the time, eggs are laid on solid objects like a a rock.  The surface is
always smooth and somewhat firm:  flat rocks, heater, Java Fern leaf.  The
problem ins not getting eggs, but getting fry.  Twice, I've tried artificially
hatching the eggs, but with no luck.

I've been pretty good with my spawning journal the last two months, but for some
reason I never recorded the pH dH and temp for either of these two successes!
(shame on me)   I know I checked each, I just didn't record them for the two
spawns in which the female didn't eat the eggs.  I can say that the water was
nearly all r/o and I believe the pH was in the 5's.

However, I did record the parameters an earlier spawn:  pH 6.3, 82 degrees, 100%
r/o, spawned on rocks, Java Fern present.  The spawn occurred within 5 hours of
the tank's set up and introduction of the fish (which had been separated).

In each of the two successes, the water had not been changed for at least 2 weeks
and the nitrates were fairly high.  More importantly, each of the two success
came in a tank with tetras.  I believe the presence of these keeps the female
interested in guarding the eggs/fry.

As recorded in Linke, the female seems to constantly move the fry around.  I
believe that this is a reason for why she has lost some as time goes on.

Regarding the fry I transferred to the controlled tank.  The fry didn't eat until
8 days since the eggs were laid.  And then they could only eat microworms for at
least 4 days.  Now they are on bbs, but growing slowly.

I plan to eventually write a more detailed account and post it on my site, but
for now I hope the above info suffices.  Again, sorry that I don't have more
recorded parameters.  I never realized that I didn't write them down until just
now.

- --Randy