Re: Collecting Apistos in Peru

I have been to Peru several times collecting Apistoes.  My advise would be
to find a guide who can speak the dialect used in the area around Iquitos.
Although going in a river boat west of Iquitos will get you near collecting
sites for A. eunotus, nijsseni, agassizi, cacatoides, and Apistogammoides,
there is good collecting around Iquitos itself.
You will need a pole net that is very sturdy.  The ones that you can get in
sporting good stores are inadequate.  Also if you can get a hold of one of
the square German hand nets, these are terrific.  You will need alot of
shallow plastic basins to keep your fish in.  Because of the heat, the fish
are very sensitive and will not survive in deep basins.  Alot of these fish
come from rather cool water compared to the ambient temp.
Swimsuits and t-shirts are adequate to collect in.  You will need foot ware.
I use "reef walkers" but the thick mud tends to suck these off.  They worked
very well in the Morichales of Venezuela.  Don't try high topped boots.
Bring bug repellent, this will also remove leeches if you collect in
Apistogrammoides territory.  Water testing meters are nice if interested in
keeping collection records.  Thermometer and GPS also good.
Bring extra money.  I have always had to bribe the soldiers at the airport
to let me get the fish out of the country.
Also, do not plan to stay very long. One week is about right.  Fish deaths
rapidly increase the longer the stay.
Tom