Collecting Apistos in Peru

Steve Waldron wrote:

> I'm  going down to Peru later on this year and during my travels, want =
> hook up with one of the commercial tropical fish collecting tours (e.g.=

> Margarita tours). I would appreciate hearing from people who have had
> experience with these and other fish collecting trips in Peru. Any advi=
ce
> from fellow apisto-philes who have made an Amazon journey would be much=

> obliged. Thanks and looking forward to hear from those who have braved
the
> candiru, fished for apistos and brought 'em back alive!

I did not respond earlier because I have never used one of the commercial=

tours. However, I have been collecting in Peru  with a Peruvian Universit=
y.
I will be going back with the University later this year.

=46rom what I hear, Margarita Tours offers a good package but the number =
of
Apistos species they collect is limited. If you are looking for confort a=
nd
a hassle-free trip then definitely go the tour route. If at the end of th=
trip you are not satisfied with what you collected you can always go by t=
he
exporters and pick up some other species.

If you want to know more about non-fish related Peru send me an e-mail of=
the list. I lived there for 17 years.

Julio Melgar