Re: Peat

doug wrote:

> >The amount of Nitrogen present in peat is normally very small, too
> >small to be of value as a fertilizer. The peat is formed as the
> >result of anaerobic conditions, not the other way around. The decrease
> >in pH in peat filtered water is almost completely due to leaching of
> >existing tannins from the peat.
>
> These responses range from misleading to wrong. My oversimplification wasn't
> much better. As we're getting off-topic please refer to:
>
> http://karamelik.eastlib.ufl.edu/projects/forum/akm4763/part1.html
>
> for more than you probably want to know about the complex world of peat moss.
>
> -Doug

Thanks  for the link to the Florida geo site. The data here is not of
much value, as it is about tropical plants of various species
decomposing. Peat offered for sale  for  horticultural or fish use is
almost exclusively Sphagnum moss, which is formed in large yearly
layers, due to seasonal variation.