Terrarium/aquarium combo

>BTW--If you lift up the hinged plywood that hides the top of the tank at
>Justin's place, you will see a lot of philodendrum growing in some kind
>of medium with its roots sticking into the tanks.  An interesting way to
>help keep up the water quality that I have read about, but have yet to
>try.

Ed & all,
Yeah Justin showed me his system and though a bit crude, what he's done is
very smart.  The terrestrial plants (particularly quick growing
philodendron) are very efficient at removing nitrogenous compounds from the
water.  In fact it is similiar to something I am working on. Hopefully,
admission of this won't get me kicked off this list, but my renewed
interest in dwarves (cichlids that is, the only dwarf fetish I own...)
centers around my poison frog terrarium. Apistos make great inhabitants in
the sumps of the frog set-ups. I'm hoping to put up a web site on this
technique- all animals in this mini-ecosystem thrive and reproduce. People
should start considering dart-frog/dwarf cichlid combos, you can really set
up some amazing biotope mini rainforest displays on land and water with
very fascinating inhabitants in both. Dart frogs are the dwarf cichlids of
the herp world- small, colorful, thrive in lushly planted terrariums,
interesting behavioral displays, interesting reproductive behavior. I even
have one frog species that has a beautiful call- much like a canary.
Anyhow, back to normal programming...
Later,
Steve