Re: BAP 'N Dump

Darren J. Hanson wrote:

> You make it sound like the folks who are turning fish into clubs for BAP
> points are very cold and calculating. I want to differ with this attitude.
> There, I have to admit may be some that are that way, but there is truly
> nothing wrong with participating in a club's BAP programs. It not only
> supports the club (the club keeps ALL the monies brought in on these fish at
> auction) but it is also a learning experience for all who participate.

I agree with what you say, but I do see the down side of BAP 'N Dump.   I've seen
it by others, and I've been accused of it.  Sometimes it's true that I don't care
that much for a fish, so I dump it right after I get fry.  However, I am
maintaining two rare livebearers (one "threatened") and I often keep an Apisto
species around for multiple spawns.

Still, I simply have to move species out to make room for new ones.  The question
is, are the new species only for BAP points or are they for the challenge of
something new (not just another Apisto, but a different type of fish that spawns
differently).  As I become a more seasoned hobbyist, I have become more
interested in the challenge of spawning challenging fish (from various groups)
for the sheer satisfaction of succeeding.

BAP 'N Dump does occur.  Still I strongly support the BAP program.  I know
someone who wanted to change the rules so that we could re-BAP a species after a
year.  I'm not into setting up rules to "engineer" the behavior of our members.
I think a better thing would be for the hobbyist to register that he/she is
maintaining a species (must be one that is not always available) and perhaps
bring in fry onec a year.  Then the club can list, in addition to BAP points and
number of spawns, how many species the aquarist is maintaining.    That way the
report reflects (and rewards) two types of breeding efforts at the same time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Because of my club's BAP, I put an
effort in to breeding.  There's just something about "officially" registering a
successful spawn and rearing.

- --Randy