Re: wild-caught fish -Reply -Reply

>>I believe there is a captive maintenance organization (Aquatic
Conservation something or other) that has outlined methods for
establishing such a program. <<

I will be joining in the American Killifish Association's species
maintenance program in a few weeks once I make some room and buy
some more fish (Aphyosemion australe brown form, which is it's normal
wild coloration as apposed to the gold or orange morphs).  Anyway, I
can pass on some info when I get it.  I know that once a species is
identified for the program, the participants agree to keep several
breeding pairs, maintain a stud book, and occasionally exchange fish
between other participants.

Tom Grady is the committee chair for the program and was very involved
in the selection criteria.  They chose a representative fish from several
species.  Some of the criteria was based upon availability, habitat
endangerment, and breedability (a fish that meets all of the requirements
but can't be bred in captivity would be nice to preserve but would fail in
the program).

I can email Tom and ask for more specifics if there's an interest.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson