Re: BAP 'N Dump -Reply -Reply

>>Just one cynic's little opinion,<<

Well, at least your honest about your opinions <s>.

>>What is the point of preserving our little slice of time?<<

Partly (mostly) selfish, I suppose.  If all one's interested in are the fish
available from the large fish farms, then there is little reason for
concerned.  If their natural location is wiped out, one can always buy
Kribs from a fish farm, as long as it's commercially profitable for them to
maintain the species.

However, if you like to keep fish, or at least have them available in the
future, that are not profitable, then it should concern you.  Killies are
almost exclusively only from hobbyist.  The vast majority of these fish
came through the collection efforts on an enthusiast (some would say
fanatic <g>).  Large scale breeding for wholesale is not profitable.

Apistos are not quite in the same situation...yet.  But it's not inconceivable
that it could head that way.  Look at the threads on Rams.  The fish farm
products are fine for a display tank but it's often difficult to find a female
or to successfully breed them when you do.  Left unchecked, even the
fish farms may not be able to maintain the species without an occasional
introduction from the wild caught gene pool if the Rams natural habitat is
destroyed.  Some of the more common killies, like the gold form of A.
australe have exhibited this problem even with experienced breeders.

So I don't believe it's ridiculous (and I wasn't offended)  for concerned
hobbyist to consider a systematic process to maintain select species.
And even though it's still relatively easy to obtain wild caught Apistos, it's
not too early to lay the ground work for a responsible species
maintenance program.  First, by adopting a location/collection naming
convention, we will be able to collect better data on the fish we keep and
become better at keeping them.  Second, in the event that a collection site
is destroyed, it will be up to the hobbyists to preserve the species.

I don't think it's realistic to expect re-introduction into the wild.  So to that
extent, I agree, the attempt is doomed.  But to preserve a species for the
hobby, so that yourself and others may learn and enjoy from them in the
future is a realistic expectation.  And worthwhile.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson