Re: BAP 'N Dump -Reply -Reply

>But to preserve a species for the
>hobby, so that yourself and others may learn and enjoy from them in the
>future is a realistic expectation.  And worthwhile.

I certainly agree with this perfectly phrased sentiment, as well as the
selfish purpose. I had to laugh when Kathy called Steindachneri common! How
many stores have you actually ever seen them in? A few yes, but if I ever
get even this species it will almost certainly be through another hobbyist.
I am well aware of the killi situation (whether I want to be or not!)
thanks to an active local AKA affiliate, and agree that their efforts are
an excellent model for other hobbyists to make rare and interesting species
more accessible. Unfortunately I have heard too many times from some such
individuals how they are somehow doing us all a favor by preserving an
endangered species. Such delusions of importance are not realistic. And
obviously it bothers me! <G>

BTW, I think copying the killifish naming convention is a great idea. It
sure would help with these "yellow kribs" I have. P. taeniatus, apparently
from Guinea. I still have yet to see a picture of a P. taeniatus with such
bright orange eyebrows and dorsal trim though. Help.

- -Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com