Fwd: Re: Species Conseravation

Doug wrote:
>I for one am on the next comet out of here. (Really bad joke.) I didn't
>REALLY say we're doomed, just that change is inevitable. With all
change we
>tend to focus initally on what we're losing and not what we're gaining.
But
>to continue, thanks for the Aquatic Conservation Network link. Many
pellets
>for thought in there from what I've read so far, however also exactly
the
>problems I brought up. Note the attempts to "save" Madagascar cichlids.
In
>summary they say the native environment is endangered but more
importantly
>that the cichlids are being replaced by competitive continental
species,
>and that this is essentially irreversible. Exact conclusion quotes are,
>"For this reason the survival in Madagascar of sizeable populations of
>various endemic species can only be achieved by captive or semi-captive
>breeding in ponds or other enclosures that can be kept free of
competing
>species.", and, "The extremely endangered status of several endemic
species
>of fish in Madagascar fully justifies the establishment of captive bred
>populations outside of the country as an ultimate safeguard against
>extinction." This is the ridiculous part I was talking about.
Maintaining
>interesting species for hobbyists I'm all in favor of, but in the
larger
>picture nature has taken its course for millions of years on this
planet
>without us - and will continue to do so. Resistance is futile.
>
>I consider myself a conservationist. Recycle, conserve natural
resources,
>don't pollute, educate (particularly Third World countries) and
preserve
>critical habitats. But resist  "feel good" ecology. You're not smarter
than
>Mother Nature.
>
>So you probably want to hear my opinions on wild caught fish now ...
>
>-Doug Brown

Doug--You're probably right.  I guess I was just trying to be
politically correct.  I'm glad to hear you're a conservationist in your
practices.  In various lectures on tropical fish, I keep hearing about
the damage that is being done by man.  When you write about how we don't
look at what we have to gain--it's not part of what is ever talked about
at the lectures.  As a matter of fact, it seems as though the Aquatic
Conservation Network and other similar groups make me feel guilty about
not doing enough to "save this planet." It's true that no one person or
group of people can "save this planet"--but it seems to me that if more
and more people come over to this way of thinking, that there is some
hope.  If more and more people decide that it's hopeless, then the fight
is over.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  In the news this morning was a
warning about eating fish caught in the Bay because of contamination
from heavy metals, insecticides, etc.  If there are not enough people
who are willing to fight the few companies who are willing to poison our
waterways for profit, then I guess there is little hope.  Does it make
you angry when you hear about the Tobacco industry's willingness to kill
people for profit?  I guess I feel sad when I hear that people are too
dispirited to continue fighting for what's right, even if the odds are
against you.  I think the conservation groups are involved in fighting
against the odds, and I would like to at least support them in spirit.