Re: Species Conseravation

>So, are the
>conservationists going to prevail, or is the earth doomed?

I for one am on the next comet out of here. (Really bad joke.) I didn't
REALLY say we're doomed, just that change is inevitable. With all change we
tend to focus initally on what we're losing and not what we're gaining. But
to continue, thanks for the Aquatic Conservation Network link. Many pellets
for thought in there from what I've read so far, however also exactly the
problems I brought up. Note the attempts to "save" Madagascar cichlids. In
summary they say the native environment is endangered but more importantly
that the cichlids are being replaced by competitive continental species,
and that this is essentially irreversible. Exact conclusion quotes are,
"For this reason the survival in Madagascar of sizeable populations of
various endemic species can only be achieved by captive or semi-captive
breeding in ponds or other enclosures that can be kept free of competing
species.", and, "The extremely endangered status of several endemic species
of fish in Madagascar fully justifies the establishment of captive bred
populations outside of the country as an ultimate safeguard against
extinction." This is the ridiculous part I was talking about. Maintaining
interesting species for hobbyists I'm all in favor of, but in the larger
picture nature has taken its course for millions of years on this planet
without us - and will continue to do so. Resistance is futile.

I consider myself a conservationist. Recycle, conserve natural resources,
don't pollute, educate (particularly Third World countries) and preserve
critical habitats. But resist  "feel good" ecology. You're not smarter than
Mother Nature.

So you probably want to hear my opinions on wild caught fish now ...

- -Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com