fish extinction

doug  wrote:

>I consider myself a conservationist. Recycle, conserve natural
resources, don't pollute, educate (particularly Third World countries)
and
preserve critical habitats. But resist  "feel good" ecology. You're not
smarter
than Mother Nature.

i just had to comment about the "educate third world countries" part.
unfortunately, it is very easy for us to blame third world nations and
peoples for the destruction of natural habitats.  remember, when you
point a finger at someone, three of your other fingers are pointed back
at you.

yes, third world population growth is out of control.  yes, third world
nations are cutting down the rainforests.  yes, people should not be
spreading tilapias in every pond and river in the world.  but what is it
that these people want?  all they want is what we in the first world
have: freedom from hunger, from disease, a nice house in the 'burbs, 2.5
kids, 2 dogs, 2 cars in the garage, videogames, every electricity- and
gas-consuming silly gadget in the world etc.  consider that the first
world nations, with one fourth of the world's population, consume 2/3 of
the world resources and produces 3/4 of the world's waste.  just imagine
if the entire world had our lifestyle, just imagine the drain on the
world's resources and production of waste.

my point is: third world nations are not the only ones in need of
education.

whereas we are arguing about this point mostly from the point of view of
hobbyists keeping pretty but inedible fish, many people in the first
world view this issue as "how can i feed my family today?"

tsuh yang chen, new york city