Incomplete tank divider method

 I'm thinking about keeping too many fish in too small an apartment. Paul
Loiselle use to avocate a method for breeding the large, aggressive
Cichlasoma (Heros?) by placing an egg crate divider between the pair
("incomplete divider method"). This would provide a barrier from fighting,
but still allow visual contact, love and milt to flow freely. I'm wondering
if anyone has tried adapting a similiar method for apistos? From my
experience, apisto. males do not need to directly pass over eggs in order
to fertilize, and will often tail slap sperm into a small egg/female -laden
crevice and hence, would diffuse freely through an incomplete divider.
Therefore, a pair of even the larger apistos could be accomodated in a ten
gallon tank without incident. The male and divider would be removed when
the eggs arrive, female left to tend them. Suggestions for the space
deprived, ambitious apisto collector?
- - Steve Waldron